Employer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/119870
Bard College’s Center for Experimental Humanities (http://eh.bard.edu) seeks a creative and versatile software developer to design, build, and support the next generation of applications for projects in the digital arts and humanities. This developer will be an integral part of a dynamic interdisciplinary center and work closely with faculty across campus as well as academic technology services to experiment with new approaches and tools toward content creation and presentation.
Bard’s Experimental Humanities initiative is Bard’s liberal arts-based answer to the Digital Humanities. It emphasizes both “new” media technologies and the reconsideration of “old” media in the study of what it means to be human, as well as the role of experimentation in humanistic scholarship, learning, and the arts. How does technology mediate what it means to be human? is a central line of inquiry within our department and we welcome applications from those who will help us move toward new ideas.
The position requires expertise in web design & development, strong interpersonal skills, both flexibility and a self-driven work ethic, appreciation for the arts and humanities, and a passion for learning new things. Experience with tools to support digital methodologies (e.g., archiving, new media studies, software studies, interactive mapping) and/or interest to learn will be beneficial for this position. Depending on the candidate’s educational background and interests, the person in this position may have the opportunity to take on some teaching, mentorship and/or training roles with Experimental Humanities faculty, staff, and students. We especially welcome candidates that are interested in linking emerging technologies with social implications relating to gender, race, class, sexual orientation and other categories and/or intersections of identity. This position also acts as a liaison with the Experimental Humanities Collaborative Network’s (https://ehcn.bard.edu/) developer to facilitate international collaboration and integration at Annandale as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree is required;
- At least two years of experience desired;
- Experience supporting AWS / cloud solutions and Nginx;
- Familiarity with information security concepts and practices;
- Proficient using version control software (e.g., git, mercurial);
- Intermediate UNIX systems administration skills (including experience with docker);
- Experience deploying and customizing open source software;
- Knowledge of web development standards, cross platform compatibility and accessibility;
- Ability and desire to communicate with technical and non-technical audiences and prepare project documentation to support training and best practices;
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and WordPress preferred;
- Experience and interest in XR, AR, VR, or MR desirable;
- Experience with mobile app development, prototyping, wireframing tools, design, or mapping/GIS software is desirable;
- Experience with IT in a higher education setting desirable.
Please upload a cover letter, resume, three references, and samples of work (e.g. website or github URL) to Interfolio at: http://apply.interfolio.com/119870
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.